Saturday 2 August 2014

Talk To The Animals: Witnessing a chimp apology

In addition to being hugely chatty creatures, scent also plays a key role in mongoose life. It actually allows them to identify each other.
They live in tight gangs - extended family units with distinct boundaries between rival territories.
One of the experiments that didn’t make it into the show tested the importance of scent in maintaining these boundaries and involved me standing in a mongoose latrine in the fierce midday sun collecting a bucket of fresh poop.
After a few minutes the mongooses themselves turned up en masse catching me red handed with a scoop of their poop in my hand.
They all stood up and looked at me as if I was nuts. Which was fair enough, I felt decidedly awkward being busted for such a peculiar theft.
I took the mongoose poo and dumped it in the middle of their neighbours’ territory.
The result was a frenzy of sniffing and chattering that suggested that scent is clearly very important for communicating an enemy invasion.
I discovered - READ MORE-     to see clip link- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b6982#clips

No comments:

Post a Comment